AEER Governing Bodies
Journal "Engineering Education"
/ Of current importance
Of current importance
On May 28-29, 2013, in St. Petersburg the International Seminar “Joint international programmes in education and research: Cooperation of universities in the global academic community” was held
The main objectives of the seminar were to:
- promote cooperation between leading Russian and European universities of technology by highlighting good practices of mutual benefit;
- facilitate an exchange of ideas and information on international education and research programmes and approaches to stimulate student and researchers’ mobility; and
- discuss global societal issues with a view to identifying priorities for future EU-RU cooperation in education and research.
The Seminar was attended by more than 60 participants: rectors, vice-rectors, deans, heads of department and professors of 32 European and Russian universities.
The Seminar Participants were welcomed by:
- Prof. Yury Pokholkov, President of the Association for Engineering Education of Russia
- Prof. Dmitry Arseniev, Vice-Rector for International Affairs of St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University
The Seminar started with visits to laboratories of St. Petersburg State Polytechnical University. Further work of the Seminar was organized in four sessions: International research cooperation; International mobility of research staff including international double PhD programmes; International double degree and joint educational programmes: best practice and challenges; International student mobility.
In the sessions the representatives of the following universities reported:
- Vienna University of Technology (Austria),
- Lisbon Superior Engineering Institute (Portugal),
- Technische Universität Berlin (Germany),
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece),
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (Switzerland),
- Lappeenranta University of Technology (Finland),
- École nationale supérieure d'ingénieurs de Caen (France),
- Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden),
- Israel Institute of Technology (Israel),
- St.Petersburg State Polytechnical University,
- National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University,
- Tolyatti State University,
- Volga State University of Technology.
The presented reports provoked a lot of questions and a lively discussion that once again emphasizes importance and relevance of the aspects of establishment and development of international cooperation both for Russian and European universities.